Once you are ready to submit your proposal, please send the proposal and the three chapters as ONE DOCUMENT through this contact form or as an e-mail attachment to Les at lhstobbe123 at gmail dot com.
I only represent fiction and non-fiction books for adults. YA and children’s book proposals should be submitted to my associate agent, Sally Apokedak.
Outline for a Fiction Proposal
- Title page with your name and address upper left, Word Count upper right. Below that in the middle: (Genre) Fiction Proposal, then title, sub-title (if there is one), author name.
- Starting on page 2, the following:
- Hook: I call it the selling hook–of 35 or so words. Extremely important summary of why a reader should buy the book.
- Synopsis: A minimum of one page single-spaced and up to three pages. This is a summary of the story–not why you wrote, how you wrote it, just the story. Editors want a clear presentation of the plot outline and action in it. It does not need all the minor characters.
- Uniqueness: what makes this story different from other novels out there? What might be several similar novels?
- Author Credentials: what qualifies you to write this novel? Education, journalism or writer training, specialized fiction study, research, reading patterns.
- Market: who will buy just because it is your book? How can you contribute to the marketing process beyond your circle of influence? Do you have a functioning web site on which you can put a teaser chapter or two? Are you in Internet social networks?
- Table of Contents: Provide a two to three sentence summary showing the flow of the story action for each chapter.
- Key Characters: Some editors like a list of the key characters, with brief descriptions.
- The first three chapters—they have to be your best chapters or there will be no sale.
- Submit as ONE document attached to an e-mail. No hard copy submissions, please.
Note: What you send me should be edited to eliminate misspellings, wrong words, missing words, punctuation errors, faulty grammar. After sending me your proposal, please do NOT send a series of corrected proposals. Reserve those for a hoped for publisher.